Tuesday, July 5, 2011

B is for Bait

Bait: something (as food) used in luring, especially to a hook or trap.
[According to the Merriam Webster Dictionary]

Ever since I was a little girl, one of my favorite things to do has been fishing with my dad. Everything about our trips has made it a lasting memory. From the rides to the lake in his big, red truck and listening and singing along to The Cars and John Cougar Mellencamp, to drinking Big Red  on the boat and listening to Casey Caseum's Top 40 while catching blue gill. I remember in elementary school I used to brag to all the boys and tell them that I can bait my own hook and take the fish off the hook too. They thought that was pretty awesome. I mean, come on ... how many girls would hold the worm and stick it on the hook and then touch the slimy fish? Almost none. But besides something to brag about, I loved fishing with my dad because it was our thing. We'd just pack everything up for the day and head out to the lake and hang out, just me and him.  This weekend was actually the first time we got to go fishing this summer. It was great, and now that I'm older we don't use the little bobber and hook for blue gill. We used rapala minnows and fished for bass all day and caught quite a few actually. Though most of them were small mouth bass, my dad actually caught a large mouth bass that we had to bring in with the net. It was really nice to get to go fishing again and spend some time with my dad like we used to. I love those memories that I have from back then. I'm so grateful that we're still able to bond like that. I can't even put into words how blessed I am to have a dad like mine, and how much I appreciate all the time he's spent doing things with and  for me and our family. 

-~- B.
We're so good, we catch our fish at the same time =)



No comments:

Post a Comment